Thursday, November 1, 2012

Happy Halloween

 The weather the last few days has been nothing but rain rain rain...buckets of it, so I wasn't holding out a lot of hope for the kiddies to stay dry while trick or treating. Thankfully I was wrong. The rain cleared up just before we headed out and it turned into a really enjoyable time which ended with a fire, snacks and some great fireworks.

How cute are these two??



Ella got right into character calling everyone scurvy dogs and yelling arrr matey, and yar me hearties...very funny. Marshall was just as cute as he could be saying trick or treat to everyone and then trying to walk right into their houses.



I took this picture of our backyard this morning, it's a bit dreary and misty today but the fall colours are amazing. I feel very fortunate to live where I do, it's perfectly suited to us.




One thing I have tried very hard to do for the last year or so is to simply say yes more often.



When I made a real effort I was surprised at how often I said no, often when it really didn't matter either way. Sometimes things just seem like they are going to take too much time, too much effort, and sometimes it was neither of those things...I just said no. To my kids more often than not. No to playing with paints (too much clean up), no to reading a story (I felt like I didn't have time or I was just too tired), no to a sweet (really what's the harm??). Saying yes opens your life up to so much more....more experiences, more memories, more connections. Now, unless there would be dire consequences I say yes....yes to day trips, yes to coffee with a friend even though it's late, yes to reading a story to the kids even if I really feel like I should be cleaning the kitchen, yes to experiences that take me out of my comfort zone. It has made a real difference.
Life is short ..why not make the best of it, make it a full one? You won't regret it...I promise.

1 comment: