Friday, February 8, 2013

Pinspiration Friday


Today's Pinterest inspired project was a coconut oil hair mask, and let me just say it turned out awesome! This is now a part of my routine hair care. Once a week from now on my hair is getting the coconut lovin'.


I started with this organic coconut oil from Omega Nutrition. I found it at my local Thrifty Foods and I believe it cost about $10.
By the way, coconut oil has many other benefits beyond use as a hair mask. For more information on the dietary benefits click here: 



Brand new jar opened just for this project...



It starts out thick....



But starts melting immediately from the warmth of your hands.



Start working the oil into your dry hair. Mine took a fair amount but I have thick hair and it really needed the hydration. I didn't go right to the scalp, but did get quite close.



Gather your hair in a clip on the top of your head and wrap your head with plastic wrap...



Turn your hair dryer on it. I blasted it with heat for a full five minutes to warm everything up. This opens up the hair cuticle for best absorption of the oil. I left my hair wrapped up for 25 min afterwards for a total of 30 mins.



Get in the shower and wash the oil out. I washed my hair twice to make sure it was all out. I then did a very light condition which I did not allow to sit on my hair, just rinsed it out again right away.

I blow dried my hair and this is how it turned out. I used no styling products before or after and my hair was/is crazy soft, smooth and fabulous. Two enthusiastic thumbs up!



Hope you enjoyed this edition of Pinspiration Friday. If there is anything you are curious about and would like to see me try just let me know.

Have a great weekend!



7 comments:

  1. Trying this for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't help but think it would leave hair weighed down...will have to just try it to find out ;}

    ReplyDelete
  3. I highly recommend this! I do it regularly. The second shampoo is a must or else your hair will look greasy. one suggestion: instead of waiting for the oil to melt in your hand, put the jar in warm water (you can just let the faucet run on top of it in the sink) for a couple minutes, and it will get all liquidy. that's what I do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this was my saturday ritual with my mom!! minus the hair dryer of course..apply warm oil onto hair, leave it overnight, wash in morning.I am pretty sure, all over india, its still followed :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so sweet, and a great idea to do with my daughter too. I wish I had known about coconut oil before. :)

      Delete