Saturday, November 17, 2012

Staying motivated, and going wheat free??

 The hardest time for me to stick with eating healthy? The weekend..


Chris is home, everything is more relaxed, and this time of year (the rain is coming down in buckets right now) comfort food is what we crave. When I think comfort food I think food that makes you just a little more than comfortably full. Heavy sauces and gravies, potatoes (my ultimate comfort food...could have something to do with my Irish heritage), pot roasts, stews and soups etc.. 
 I've been trying to cut my portion sizes down and if I'm still hungry have another serving of salad. Dessert has been a piece of fruit. Not so much comfort food, but I know it's the right decision and I feel good and have lots of energy after dinner rather than needing to relax on the couch and digest. The draggy feeling is gone.
I am a night owl by nature, really have trouble going to sleep before 11:30 - 12:00, so it's inevitable that I get hungry about an hour before bed. After all, it's been five hours since we had dinner, my body is ready to eat again. Rather than fight this and go to bed hungry which would make me miserable and I don't think I could fall asleep, I just have a snack. Sometimes a piece of fruit isn't enough, instead I'll have a Kashi granola bar (low in sugar) or a piece of whole wheat bread with peanut butter. It seems to be doing the trick as I've lost six pounds so far. Five more to go until I'm back at my summer weight and then I begin chipping away at the stuff that's been there awhile...that's going to be hard, but sooooo worth it.

This little quote really resonates with me, we only get one body...I sure don't want to waste mine. I've been watching some videos on YouTube of American Ninja Warrior, so amazing what the human body is capable of.



So...the Paleo diet...legit or fad? It has been around for a couple of years and is still setting things on fire and I swear that every time I look up how someone lost weight and got into incredible shape they always say they went wheat and dairy free. That's pretty much the Paleo diet in a nutshell. It has spawned many other books on this lifestyle such as the very popular Wheat Belly, which has been sitting on my shelf unread for several months but I just started reading last night. I also have the Paleo Solution on order and will be reading it too.




Do you know anyone who has gone wheat free? The idea of cutting wheat and dairy completely out of my diet seems nearly impossible but from what I've been reading the health benefits are pretty incredible. I have a friend who did this by following a diet from her naturopathic doctor way before the Paleo diet was even a thing and she said it was the best she's ever felt. I would love to hear your comments.

4 comments:

  1. I know that Josh's sister, Danielle, is wheat free due to several different allergies her little one has and she is very slender! Maybe have a chat with her for general inspiration, if nothing else recipe ideas as she's been committed for several years.
    Keep up the great work Mariah! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know! It would be a big commitment for sure, huge change in how I eat.

      Delete
  2. It seems SOO worth it! My sister in North Van has completely adapted the lifestyle...she's also combining with cross fit and she is LOVING it! The more I research it makes complete sense! This is a blog that she finds inspiring: http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/paleo-101/
    Here is an amazing article on the benefits of the coconut oil and ketones: http://www.coconutresearchcenter.org/Conquering%20Alzheimers%20with%20Coconut%20Ketones.htm
    This site she recommends as it's funny and full of good recipes: http://paleomg.com/
    Sorry for the deluge, but your question comes at the same time I'm wondering about it all as well and I just keep hearing more and more great things. And as my sister says paleo eaters all differ, some cut out the nightshades some don't (sister does, it helps her joint inflammations when nothing else does, some are split on eggs, etc., it's all a learning curve, but appears to be beneficial no matter how big a step is taken ;}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are great links Denise, thank you so much! It's a big lifestyle change for sure, and I don't think I'm quite ready to go totally Paleo....not quite ready to let the dairy go yet, but the gluten/wheat free I can do. If you are thinking of making the change than we'll be able to do it together, it's always easier with a buddy. :)

      Delete