Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Early to bed, early to rise.....look what I can do!


I didn't go to bed as early as I had planned to but it takes baby steps right? I think what makes it hard to go to bed is that everything is so nice and quiet, all my chores are done and it's just me time. I want to stretch it out, but I do suffer for it the next day. Tonight will be different!

I did rise early however, and made these delicious lemon blueberry scones. Marshall wasn't all that into them but Ella had one before school and Chris had two before he headed out to work and I felt very good that I had gotten up early enough to put a home baked meal in my family's tummy before they went out to face the day. I also did all my morning chores, as well as laundry and still leisurely left the house to take Ella to school rather than rushing. There's something to be said for this getting up early thing....


Here's the recipe in case you want to try them for yourself:

Lemon Blueberry Scones

2 cups of all purpose flour
3 tsp baking powder
2 Tbsp granulated sugar * (see note at end)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 c cold butter
3 eggs
1/2 c heavy cream
1 1/2 c frozen blueberries (thawed and excess moisture removed)
zest of one lemon


1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. In a large mixing bowl combine flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.
3. Cut butter into the flour until it looks like crumbs.
4. In a separate bowl beat two of the eggs and stir in the cream, then stir the egg/cream mixture into the dry ingredients. Don't overwork the dough, this is key in making scones.
5. Gently fold in the blueberries and lemon zest.
6. Turn dough onto floured counter or board and shape into two round circles approx 1 inch thick. Cut each circle into four pie shaped wedges.
7. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or you could grease with a little butter and lay out the wedges on top.
8. Separate the yolk/white on the third egg and lightly beat the white, brush each scone with the egg white wash, this gives you that lovely golden crust. Sprinkle with a little sugar.
9. Bake 15 minutes, or until golden.

Makes 8 scones (Chris had already eaten two when I took the picture).

* I found they could have used a little more sugar and next time I make them will use 3-4 Tbsp instead of just 2.



I had to share this picture of these cute game bird coasters I found at a local store called Cobble Hill Fine Furnishings. They are from Pimpernel in the UK and come as a set of six, two of each design. They were only $10 in store but the best I could find them online for was $15. You can check them out here: Pimpernel Coasters. I love them and think they suit the decor in this house well.





When I did a final check on the kiddies before heading to bed last night this is how I found Ella, fast asleep in her fun and funky hat made by her Auntie Jasmine. Isn't she sweet?



It was lovely and sunny yesterday and we took full advantage playing outside with the puppies but today it's raining away so it's a good day to catch up on my laundry and run errands. When Ella gets home from school today we are making chocolate chip pumpkin muffins (review and recipe tomorrow). One of my New Years resolutions was to do more cooking and baking....not quite sure how that is going to work with trying to trim the waistline.... :S

No comments:

Post a Comment