Monday, January 21, 2013

Calorie wise banana chocolate chip muffins

So after yesterday's blog post I knew I had to start coming up with some good calorie wise baking ideas.....and the best place to start? Why with this pile of overripe bananas on my counter of course....


Here is the recipe for:
 Calorie Wise Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins

I doubled everything because I wanted some baking for the freezer, plus I had exactly six overripe bananas and needed to use them up.

3 medium very ripe bananas
1/3c milk
1 egg
1/2c brown sugar
1/2c granulated sugar
1tsp baking soda
1 and 1/2c all purpose flour
1tsp salt
3Tbsp chocolate chips (I always use mini chips...love them)
2Tbsp chopped walnuts ( I didn't have any but I think they would have been great in this recipe).


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.


Peel bananas and mash them up with a fork or with your mixer like I did.



Mix in milk, egg and both sugars.


In a separate bowl mix flour, salt and baking soda together.


Mix both sets of ingredients together, don't over mix.


 Fold in chocolate chips and walnuts (if using).



Get your helper to flash you a big smile. :)


Spoon equal amounts of batter into each greased muffin tin. You can also use muffin cups if you prefer. I used Pam cooking spray.


Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.


Enjoy this deliciousness. 




I know that butter isn't calorie wise but it makes the picture look good. ;)


I was happy with this recipe and would make it again. The muffins were moist and flavourful and I could only marginally tell they didn't have any type of oil in them. At only 167 calories each and 1.2 grams of fat I think it they are worth it (and that is with the walnuts).

Let me know if you try it and what you think.

Ciao!


2 comments: